Lead is odorless and colorless, making it hard to spot. It can also make our water taste sweet. Long-term exposure leads to different health problems. Lead enters our systems through old pipes and infrastructure. If your home was built before 1986, schedule a water test today.
Fluoride naturally occurs in surface and groundwater systems, but is also added to many drinking water systems. While fluoride is often advertised for reducing dental issues, it can damage your teeth and bones through long-term exposure and ingestion. This contaminant is tasteless and odorless, however, it’s easily detectable in a water test.
The levels at which these minerals are present determines the hardness of your water. It can leave mineral deposits on your glassware, dry out your skin, and give a sour smell to your clothing from the buildup of soap curds.
Nitrates may be naturally occurring ions, but they’re a health concern when it goes beyond a certain concentration. Nitrates are common in our groundwater, as it enters our water sources from fertilizers, manure storage, and septic systems. This contaminant is nearly impossible to identify without a water test, as it is odorless, tasteless, and colorless.
Exposure to mercury in water can be damaging to our brain, nervous system, and kidneys. It can enter our home after flowing into underground water supplies. Mercury is odorless and hard to detect with the naked eye, however, a water test will help you evaluate if the contaminant is present.
Bacteria can enter our drinking water through a faulty septic tank or wastewater treatment system. Common bacterial strains include E.Coli and Salmonella. Bacteria in water can make you sick, causing symptoms such as cramps, nausea, and fever.
Copper arrives from our plumbing pipes. Our bodies have natural defense mechanisms for maintaining healthy levels of copper, but this doesn’t develop until after we are one year old. Therefore, copper poses a concern for newborn babies, infants, and those with a genetic copper metabolism disorder. This contaminant appears tasteless and odorless, so make sure to schedule home water testing today!
Arsenic is one of the more dangerous contaminants, as it is odorless and tasteless. This contaminant becomes toxic after continuous exposure. Long-term exposure has been linked to various health and skin conditions. Arsenic is common in homes that use a private well or are close to an industrial or agricultural area.